Sunday, May 2, 2010

RIP

I'm so utterly sad right now. I got to my swimming class this morning with the club and met up with a girl in the parking lot. She is amazing, let's face it, they are all amazing. She said she wasn't going to come to the swim because we got some bad news and then told me that our swimming coach Meredith passed away last week. I was rooted to the spotin complete and utter shock. She got into an accident on her bike, severe head trauma and passed away.

I only met her a few times but she was a real light in this world. Someone I would love to be like.

About half, maybe less showed up for the swim, some came just to be there while the other coach broke the news. And so we swam.. we didn't do drills and after a few laps the others in the club that have known her for a long time gathered in the shallow end to talk. I didn't want to interrupt their grief so I swam, I swam just like she told me, keep going, good form. And I remembered her.

During a rest they all came into the slow lane which is where I spend my time and said we were going to swim 100m for her together. We swam in the slow lane because that is where she spent most of her time, with us, 'her disciples' they called us. So the fast swimmers let us go first and it was quiet, just the rush and splash of the water. When we finished they waited for me while I finished my 1000m for the day. It wasn't about the bet at all, it was about finishing what I start which is I think how Meredith lived. Finishing what she started, doing what she said she was going to do, and living her life. So today I swam for her.

I'm a complete mess although I'm not sure why. Meredith I barely knew you but I thank you for your support and advice and the laughs. I'm really going to miss you but I'm grateful that you made an appearance in my life.


And I'll swim for you.

RIP Meredith, be PHAT

http://www.educationforthedrivingmasses.com/2010/04/burlington-cyclist-critically-injured.html

6 comments:

XTB-XAVI said...

RIP...sorry to hear about that...bike is really dangerous...that is why I bought my indoor trainer...

¨XTB¨Xavi cheers from Hong Kong!

adena said...

Thanks Xavi.

Pedalman said...

I am so sorry to hear about this loss. In a short time Meredith taught you to strive for finishing what you start in the best way you can. You honoured her by doing just that. By taking that knowledge and applying it in everything you do, her memory and strength will always be with you.
God Bless.

adena said...

Thanks Pedalman, I appreciate you.

Bryan said...

Wow, I just read your post. My heart dropped for her and her family. What a tragedy. My prayers go out to the family.

B

adena said...

B, my heart is with her family and friends as well. This is a huge loss to our community.